- 2 articles from dailyalert.org, July 20, 2014
- The Treacherous Task of Tunnel Demolition – Mitch Ginsburg
- Israel has sent in troops to find and destroy the underground tunnels in Gaza that stretch all along the border. Brig. Gen. (res) Shimi Daniel, a former commander of the combat engineering corps, told Channel 2 news on Thursday that the entrance shafts of the tunnels are located within civilian homes and that, by the time troops arrive, “they’ve already poured fresh concrete over the opening.”
- Once detected, soldiers specializing in counter-tunnel operations lower a robot into the shaft which sends back video and has the capacity to map the contours of the tunnel. Afterward, the army will send explosive-detecting dogs into the tunnel. Some of the recently discovered tunnels are more than 60-feet deep and over a mile long. Many branch out near the border with multiple exits.
- Once detected, the tunnels can be struck from above. Brig. Gen. (res) Asaf Agmon said the concrete-reinforced tunnels are readily penetrated by a standard one-ton bomb with a delayed fuse. However, a former commander of the combat engineering corps said that in order to completely dismantle a tunnel system, hundreds of pounds of explosives have to be inserted all along its length. (Times of Israel)
- See also Coping with Terror Tunnels – Atai Shelach (Israel Defense)
(Click on the title of either article to see the whole article…Ed.)