Jan. 8, 2016
- For the mainstream media and human rights organizations, human rights violations are news only when they come with a “made in Israel” sticker on them.
- The Palestinian Authority (PA) has used international aid funds to build prisons and detention centers in the West Bank where torture has become the norm.
- Dr. Ammar Dwaik, Director General of the Independent Commission for Human Rights, a Palestinian group, revealed that his group received 782 complaints regarding torture — 168 in the West Bank and 614 in the Gaza Strip.
- Both Hamas and the PA each fears that in a free election it could lose some of its power. Why hold an election if you are not sure about the results?
- Needed desperately: scrutiny of Palestinian society by international media and human rights groups — beginning with Palestinian prisons. Anyone stepping up?