May 15, 2017
Israeli Priorities Ahead of Trump’s Visit – Interview with Amb. Dore Gold (Fox News)
Ahead of President Trump’s upcoming visit to Israel, Netanyahu advisor Amb. Dore Gold said Israel was focusing on a number of issues.
- “The Jordan Valley has been the front line of Israel’s defense since 1967. The Jordan Valley is something which Yitzhak Rabin, the man who started the whole Oslo peace process, warned in his last Knesset speech: ‘Israel must retain the Jordan Valley in the widest sense of that term.’ So that’s our front line. We’re not giving up the Jordan Valley, and Israeli polls show 80% of the Israeli public wants to retain the Jordan Valley.”
- “One other point – Jerusalem. In an era in which holy sites are being blown up all over the Middle East – in Egypt, in Iraq, in Syria – we are going to turn over the holy sites of Western civilization to Mr. Abbas, to Hamas, or ISIS? Israel and only Israel will protect Jerusalem for all the great faiths. And I hope the U.S. administration understands that.”
- “Before we talk about Israeli concessions, let’s ask ourselves one fundamental question. Do we have bridgeable differences between the parties?”
- “What many of us who have been involved in negotiations for more than 15 years have concluded is that a final status deal covering all the issues – like Jerusalem, like security, like borders – is not in the cards right now.”
- “But more limited understandings can be reached that are important for the Palestinians and important for Israel, and that’s what we should be aiming for.”
Dr. Dore Gold, president of the Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs, is a former Israeli UN ambassador and director-general of the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
President Trump, in Search of Mideast Peace, Should Tackle Hate before Borders – Rabbi Abraham Cooper (Fox News)
In his quest for peace in the Middle East, President Trump should consider tackling hatred before borders. His arrival in the Holy Land will find many Israelis who feel they have no peace partner to negotiate with.
The Palestinian Authority, under the leadership of President Mahmoud Abbas, is a profoundly corrupt organization despite – or rather in large part due to – massive amounts of funding from the West.
And this funding continues to flow despite the virulent hatred and lies preached by Palestinian leaders who are using American tax dollars to brainwash yet another generation of Palestinian children to hate their Jewish neighbors.
The writer is associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles.