Mar. 18, 2016
“Intersectionality” and the Bizarre World of Hating Israel – Ziva Dahl (New York Observer)
- Proponents of “intersectionality” see a world of all-encompassing oppression, where racism, classism, sexism, homophobia and ableism constitute an intersecting system. All injustices are interconnected, even if occurring in unconnected geographic, cultural and political environments.
- This is the rationalization for building alliances among unrelated causes like LGBTQ rights, fossil fuel divestment, prison reform, racial discrimination and immigration.
- The anti-Israel BDS campaigns have successfully injected the Palestinians into this intersectional mix as victims of colonialist oppression by pro-Western Israel. The marriage of intersectionality with the Arab-Israeli conflict allows any victim group to make common cause with the Palestinians.
- This explains why, in January, the National LGBTQ Task Force initially chose to ally itself with Palestinians who execute gays, rather than with Israel, the sole Middle Eastern country that protects the rights of the LGBTQ community.
- And why women’s rights groups champion Palestinian society, where honor killings and violence against women are commonplace.
The writer is a fellow with the Haym Salomon Center.
(Click on the article’s title to see the whole article…Ed.)