Feb. 26, 2018
- PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas’ address to the UN Security Council was a unilateral declaration by the Palestinians that when it comes to possible peace with Israel, their current leadership is no longer seeking a solution.
- Speaking in January, Abbas claimed that the Zionist movement, which returned the Jewish people to their historic homeland, was a colonialist plot. He even claimed that Jews welcomed anti-Semitism as an excuse to advance their national goals.
- These are not the words of a Palestinian leader ready to accept the legitimacy of the world’s only Jewish state and enter into serious negotiations. His declaration that he is now boycotting American mediation all but ensures a state of prolonged and unresolved conflict.
- Attempts by Abbas to lay the blame for the diplomatic impasse on the Americans’ announcement regarding Jerusalem amounts to nothing more than an excuse to avoid the negotiating table.
- Israelis are an optimistic people. We weathered four bloody wars with Egypt while waiting for a leader of Anwar Sadat’s caliber to come forward and courageously visit Jerusalem. It took decades of talks with Jordan until King Hussein entered into a “peace of the brave” with Israel. We have no doubt that the day will come when the Palestinian people will be blessed with such leadership as well.
- This will be a leadership that ends the despicable practice of incentivizing murder by paying monthly salaries to terrorists. It will be a leadership that educates its people towards tolerance instead of peddling anti-Semitism. It will need to be a leadership that recognizes that Israel is the national homeland of the Jewish people.
(Click on the article’s title to see the whole article…Ed.)